Forum - View topic - Webley & Scott .410 bolt action shotgun.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Webley & Scott .410 bolt action shotgun. 

Post Webley & Scott .410 bolt action shotgun.
Hello all.
I have just aquired the above from Eastern sporting in Essex and would like to know more about it. Any info appreciated especially on how to finish the stock as the varnish is a little tatty but the rest of the gun is tidy and it shoots lovely. Only paid £50 too! Just said buy me on the shelf so the wife got it as an early crimbo pressie :D
Many thanks, Neil.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:17 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Webley & Scott .410 bolt action shotgun.
Strip it down fully - will take all of 5 minutes.

Clean everything properly and also give the barrels a good clean - most of those I have seen have so much muck in the barrels it was surprising that the shot could actually exit. You may need to get yourself a set of .410 tools - jag, brush & rod. Grease or oil as appropriate on the metal work to stop corrosion or wear.

The wood will be average - but a good rub down with fine glass paper will take off the varnish. You can then give the wood a sanding itself with very fine glass paper and then revarnish - builing up several coats, gently sanding in between.

Reassemble, check and check again, then try it out.

At £50 you have a bargain - mine was £95 although it was in near perfect condition.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Many thanks Mr P.
I was lucky the barrel was very clean and unmarked. Took it to a clay ground soon after buying and found it shot brilliantly. It just needs the stock re doing to make it A1. Wouldn't dream of selling it. Too much of a bargain and was brought as a pressie from the wife. Did think of just wire wooling down and oiling but it looks like it would be better to varnish as i think this was the original option. Anyone else have an opinion on this course of action?

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:04 pm

A good gun, we have cleared the trees of many squirrel & pigeon with these light 410's. A good buy

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Once you have rubbed down the stock and taken all the old varnish off I would go for an oil finish, the birchwood casey stock oil kit is a good one with instructions. I did my 700 boxlock side by side, the more time you put into it the better the job will be,building up the finish over many coats then buffing back with fine wire wool for a dull finish.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:04 am

I have just refinished the woodwork on my .410

I used Nitromors and medium grade steel wool to get the old tatty varnish off. Once all the varnish was removed, I rubbed it down to a smooth finish using fine and then ultrafine grades of steel wool. Similar to what flapper posted above, I refinished mine with multiple coats of Birchwood Casey Tru Oil, with a light rub down with ultrafine steel wool inbetween coats.

Very pleased with the final result and it looks so much better than it did.

Paul.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next