Forum - View topic - Charles Ingram-Glasgow

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Charles Ingram-Glasgow 

Post Charles Ingram-Glasgow
Help needed from the knowledgeable 'English/Scotish' gun people out there please. I have been offered, subject to valuation an 1890's Ingram boxlock. Info at this stage is incomplete but it's 30"damascus barrels, ejector i think, (would it be at that age?) It's an heirloom piece owned by a friend, who's giving up his certificate and has several items to dispose of. This is the only interesting one. He was advised when he got it some years back, that it would likely not survive nitro proofing and i wondered how it might be enjoyed without having to resort to black powder cartridges. It's not been shot in over 40 years but when it was last used, it was just a regular working piece. It's in it's original case complete with accessories, with evidence of several journeys to and within Africa. I think it would be nice to own, just as a piece of history. What it's worth is the problem, not sure i'd trust a dealer valuation on something i know nothing about. All help/opinions welcomed. Barry

Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:11 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Charles Ingram-Glasgow
The only other Chas Ingram I have seen, is a “Back action” hammer gun of circa 1905. It was not an ejector, had steel barrels and had been nitro proofed.
It had @ 40% of its original colour case-hardening, and was only just in proof.
It was being sold for something like £1,450.
G.M.

Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:11 pm

Barry, the ejector was perfected round 1884 and I have a damascus barreled gun of around 1925 so that's those bits out of the way. Used in Africa a, so it could be a double rifle or something like a H&H Paradox, (half rifle half shotgun).
You do realise it is illegal to have a firearm in your possesion without a license!!!. So as you don't get into trouble give me your address and I will relieve you of any risk of prossesution by giving you a fiver for it no questions asked. What do you think?.PW

Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:04 pm

Pete, your generous offer has overwhelmed me , you'll have to give me a nanosecond before i decline. It's just a regular 12g shotgun. Thanks for clearing up the possibility of ejector on non, at least now it could be. I'm cosher in the certificate dept, so no problems on that front. I suppose my biggest question is how do you value such a thing. I flatter myself on knowing my way round a Perazzi or Beretta and therefore approx values but this is a virgin area for me. Any other contributions still welcomed.

Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:07 am

Just a suggestion i would not contemplate buying a shotgun regardless of cost without knowing what the barrel wall thickness is! This will reflect in the buying price dramatically.

Take it to a decent gunsmith and have the barrells checked.
Of all the guns i have seen of that name they are not the best compared with Woodwards, H&H and other first class examples.

Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:21 am

There guys might be able to help..

http://www.glasgowgunmakers.co.uk/

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next