Forum - View topic - FAC in Northern Ireland?

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
FAC in Northern Ireland? 

Post Re: FAC in Northern Ireland?
I live in Northern Ireland and have held a cert for 20 years if you want a gun you first have to work through a dealer by picking a gun and putting a deposit on it , then you fill out your application with the serial No. of the firearm you wish to accquire . I also was a member of a pistol club for about three years were I had a years probation to do before it was possible to put any pistol on my cert , I never bought one just always used the club guns . It is also required now by law to put your Doctors contact details on the app no name no permit.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:06 pm
Profile Send private message

Edward Carson wrote:
Edward Carson wrote:
Call them Mark - perhaps obtaining some permission for deer or vermin will suffice whether it be north or south of the border?

Is this too simplistic to be effective? :?

Surely getting permission for shooting deer or vermin would do nothing to help me get involved in pistol shooting though? Or are you saying I should do this just to get a FAC without waiting a year?

Robbie4213 wrote:
I live in Northern Ireland and have held a cert for 20 years if you want a gun you first have to work through a dealer by picking a gun and putting a deposit on it , then you fill out your application with the serial No. of the firearm you wish to accquire . I also was a member of a pistol club for about three years were I had a years probation to do before it was possible to put any pistol on my cert , I never bought one just always used the club guns . It is also required now by law to put your Doctors contact details on the app no name no permit.

Thanks for your input, great to hear from someone in NI. It sounds to me like the process is closer to the system down south, where we pick out a particular firearm first. put a deposit down and then apply for it with serial number in hand. I had thought the NI system might be closer to the rest of the UK, where you can simply apply for a particular type of firearm, eg. .22lr semi auto rifle, and then buy any firearm that fits that variation.

So one year is the standard probation period for pistols then? What about other firearms? Say if I wanted to get a .22lr semi auto for practical mini rifle shooting or a Benelli M2 for practical shotgun while I wait to get my pistol and shoot club pistols in the meantime? Or is it just a year for any firearm?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:29 pm

MD: "What about other firearms? Say if I wanted to get a .22lr semi auto for practical mini rifle shooting?"

Surely that's where permission to control vermin comes in? And, don't forget a number of English deer stalkers have pistols for the humane destruction of deer and are not registered slaughter men.

Lamh-Dearg-Abu ;)

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:31 am

Edward Carson wrote:
MD: "What about other firearms? Say if I wanted to get a .22lr semi auto for practical mini rifle shooting?"

Surely that's where permission to control vermin comes in? And, don't forget a number of English deer stalkers have pistols for the humane destruction of deer and are not registered slaughter men.

Lamh-Dearg-Abu ;)

Ah I see what you mean now ;)

I've tried contacting the Licensing department twice now, today when I called I was given a time to call back next week when they'd have someone to answer my questions. I guess they really are as busy as I've heard. Looking forward to getting some definitive answers, hopefully I'm not looking at having to wait over a year.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:05 am

Mark - welcome to the Byzantine world of NI FACs.

You have a couple of routes into obtaining a FAC in NI; join a club or have permission to shoot over approved land.

The club route: if your reason for possession is to do target disciples with either handgun or rifle then a club official (usually the Secretary) MUST be one of the referees on your FAC application. Of course, they will NOT be in a position to do this until after you've completed your probationary year UNLESS they are prepared to relax this rule. Usually this is possible if you've been a member of another club in the past or a member of the armed forces.

The permission to shoot over land route: excludes handguns. Nominate land over which you have permission to shoot, PSNI Firearms & Explosives Branch will inspect it and if OK for the various calibre of rifles you want to use for specific purposes they should approve the FAC. Ditto shotguns. However, if you want to use an appropriate calibre rifle for deer then you MUST get a DSC1 certificate. They need a specific use/discipline for EACH firearm!

Both of the above assume that all other matters are OK - secure storage, crim checks, etc.

I moved from England to NI a couple of years ago and went through this process. I've been shooting for 45 odd years (GB FAC & Shotgun Cert) - deer, game, vermin, targets, clays, and handguns (until they were banned in GB); was also a member of a rifle & pistol club in England.

NI wouldn't approve deerstalking until I did the DSC1, even though I've 40 years of experience of doing it!! And they wouldn't accept the various land I shoot over in England (total approx 12,000 acres) - I had to nominate land in NI for shooting even though I'd be travelling over to England to do most of this ... daft! I joined a shooting club in NI and as I had been a member of a similar club in England they were prepared to void the probation period for my application.

The application took 6 months for them to approve the FAC but the good thing here is that I can now shoot handguns again ... ah, happy days.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2